Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DIY Simple & Easy Hair moisturizer

Hi guys,

I thought that it would be helpful to share this simple hair moisturizer that I've been using for almost a year now. I enjoy this moisturizer or styler, simply because it allows me to achieve great twists for my fabulous up-dos and it adds a level of moisturize to my hair that is always needed.
If you like what you see please Comment| Follow| Use Reaction Buttons.
All you need: two ingredients:
1. aloe vera gel
2. oil of your choice (in this tutorial I use coconut oil)

www.lilias-healthbook.blogspot.com
When using this moisturizer for my hair, I always use 1 of 3 oils: jojoba oil or coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. More information on those oils can be found here.

 Why do I use coconut oil you might ask. Well the benefits of coconut oil are vast. Let's take a look, while focusing on hair shall we:
  • Conditions the hair very well, because it is able to penetrate the hair shaft.
  • Works well to combat an itchy, dry scalp
  • Works well to prevent dryness and breakage. Afro-textured hair is prone to breakage and dryness and we all know that dryness+breakage = minimal hair retention
  • Helps to lock in moisturizer that you've put into the hair with water
  • Strengthens the hair from the inside
  • Promotes hair growth
The Benefits of Aloe Vera Gel:
  • Balances the pH of the hair and scalp
  • Conditions and moisturizes the hair
  • Prevents hair loss
  • Provides a slight hold for hair styles (like my twist)
  • Helps to detangle the hair
  • Defines curls
Now the tutorial ... So simple!
Just combine your two ingredients by mixing well. Mix Mix Mix. Until you achieve a consistency featured in the video below.

If you choose coconut oil, make sure that it is melted first, as coconut oil is usually a solid at room temperature (pictured above). 
I hope you enjoy. If you like what you see please Comment| Follow| Use Reaction Buttons. I would really love to know if you tried this simple recipe and what your thoughts were on it.

Take care,

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I love it! Thanks for posting. I am giving my SheaMoisture and Oyin Handmade products a try in this rebuilding of my damaged hair...but I am going to add this to my list. My hair needs the benefits of both of these products. How often do you use this product? Only when twisting or every day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use these products every week, right after a nice wash, and I can tell that my hair really likes it. I use shea butter as a base and then I would add this recipe to style my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have sheabutter, and my hair loves it, it would be cool to try this too! I hear such things about Aloe, sounds greatand I want to try. Aloe Vera is sooooo expensive here though :( But I'm thinking of buying some anyway..comparing all the places and getting the most affordable that comes with the most product too (economic crisis!!!) because it's good for your skin too. I'm trying to start using all natural cosmetics now too from hair products to deodorant and other toiletries! All these chemicals we put into and onto our bodies...not a good look! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camila Maria I totally agree. I read the book,'Not just a Pretty face'. I also wrote a blog post about it and I was amazed at how toxic the ingredients are in everything considered cosmetics, beauty products etc. It is so disheartening to think that a lot of these products are geared towards women of color. That book really opened my eyes, I highly recommend it. I've already started to make changes so that I only use natural based products as much as I can. P.S. I love my shea butter. http://www.lilia-lifeinoh.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-are-beauty-products-targeted.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've mixed together aloe vera juice and olive oil last summer. It made an interesting hair gel. I only used it once and kinda forgot about it. I'll have to try it with coconut oil sometime. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments!