Thursday, June 28, 2012

Canned veggies or Fresh Veggies?

 Hello beautiful people!

In this blog post I will share with you why I prefer fresh vegetables rather than canned vegetables

I love vegetables. Some of my favorite include spinach, kale, bell peppers, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers.
www.liliashealthbook.blogspot.com
I love my veggies, but more importantly I love them fresh NOT canned, with the exception of corn. I love sweet corn.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are many benefits to canned vegetables. For example, canned vegetables are a good substitute to fresh vegetables, especially when they aren't in season. Research has shown that  though some canned vegetables may lose some of their nutrients, they do retain some of their vitamins and minerals.

Personally, I prefer fresh vegetables rather than canned vegetables, because for me the difference is in the color and taste. The colors of fresh veggies are so much more vibrant and they are more flavorful when compared to canned vegetables. Also, I dislike the extra sodium and preservatives used in canned vegetables.

Now do I think that fresh is better than canned? No. Do I think that canned is better than fresh? No. It's just what it is and they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

However, according to the CDC, fruits and vegetables matter, whether they are fresh, frozen, canned, dried or juiced. So, get those veggies in no matter what!

 Which do you prefer, Canned Or Fresh?
 Take care,

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Deterville, I am in total agreement, if one has the option of choosing between the canned and fresh veggies, the fresh veggies are the healthier option largely due the the artificial flavors, colorings, preservatives and sodium, oh dear sodium added to the canned veggies.

    However, there are impediments such as living in a food desert, preventing persons from having access to fresh fruit. The canned veggies will definitely be heaven.

    There is another issue, which are very real. Some persons do not think vegetables are tasty. There is a possibility the canned version can somehow modify the taste to make it more palatable to the non-veggie lover.

    Great post dear miss ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer fresh vegetables because I heard that cans are sealed with the bad BPA chemical. Also, canned vegetables tend to be swimming in mystery oils and juices I am not fond of. If there's no fresh vegetables in season, I tend to go to the frozen veggies section. Getting canned vegetables is a last resort. But when I do get a canned veggie, I wash it in water to get the gook off.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments!