Saturday, June 16, 2012

Summer Reading | 'I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings'

Hello friends,

I'm back with another blog post!

www.liliashealthbook.blogspot.com
Every summer I embark on a quest to read as many books as I can. I enjoy reading throughout the summer days, because this is the time that I have more free time. More time to immerse myself in a good story, to loathe certain characters, to love others, and to become part of another world.

I began my summer reading with 'I know why the caged birds sings' by Maya Angelou. I've never read her autobiography before (don't know why) but I'm glad I finally got the chance to do so. My favorite lines in the book is this one (on page 272):
" The fact that the adult American Negro female emerges a formidable character is often met with amazement, distaste and even belligerence. It is seldom accepted as an inevitable outcome of the struggle won by survivors and deserves respect if not enthusiastic acceptance."
 I had the wonderful opportunity to hear her speak last year, to marvel, to be inspired. Such a phenomenal woman!

What are you reading this summer? I would love to know, possibly add them to my summer reading list. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments!