Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Presenting Minority Health Disparities to white students

 
So I presented my research today in my Qualitative Research course on Health Disparities to a class that was predominantly white (there was 1 Taiwanese in the class). The focus of my research was on the interviews I conducted with 3 African American students, assessing their thoughts, feelings and perceptions about race and class based Health Disparities. My presentation was roughly 15 minutes long and when it over, I asked for questions. 

Well, I was responded with blank stares from the class, which didn't surprise me, because race and class in America are not one of the Hot Topics talked about by the general public, especially by white folk. On the other hand, my professor is very interested in the topic and she asked me a very interesting question that I had not thought about before. This is the question: 'Is it possible to talk about Health Disparities and wanting to improve the health status of minorities without victimizing them or raising stereotypes?' 

I think this is a great discussion topic. I do believe that there are strategies to minimize the effect of making minorities feel like the victim, but like I stated in class, minorities already feel like the victim. Furthermore, the media already does a good job at highlighting all them as the 'poor & unfortunate souls' when it comes to health. So what do you think? Is it possible to talk about Health Disparities without victimizing them or raising stereotypes? 

I would love to hear what you have to say on the topic?

Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments!