Thursday, August 18, 2011

Food Nostalgia

I wrote this piece yesterday evening while revisiting my goals. If you can relate to this, please feel free to say so in the comment section. 

As a child, I rarely ate fast food. Nor did I go out to eat. (Rarely is an understatement...). In fact, eating out at a restaurant was not part of my culture growing up. Now that I'm older, I realize how fortunate I was to have grown up in an environment, where I knew where most of my food came from (which was mostly grown by my mother, grandmother & generations before them). I have been truly blessed with healthy foods while growing up. Part of me wonders that if individuals had the same upbringing would NCDs & health disparities be this prevalent? (Just a thought)

I ate an abundance of guavas, cherries, bananas, mangoes, pineapple, coconut, golden apples, grapefruits, oranges & cashews. I enjoyed plantains, yams, potatoes, cassava bread, breadfruit, fresh fruit etc. This abundance I took for granted, until I immigrated to the U.S. for schooling...

'You never miss the water, 'til the well runs dry' right!

A recent visit to my homeland was met with a host of fast food restaurants....WHAT? Where did these come from & why are they all of a sudden so popular? These are the questions that I ask. What happened to my bake and saltfish? AND why do individuals (mostly young people) have this need for Domino's pizza.

This can't be healthy & I'm very certain this increase in the number of fast food restaurants is contributing to the high incidence and prevalence of diabetes, cardiovascular disease on this small developing country.

Don't forget to visit:
www.healthycaribbean.org and their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/getthemessage.

2 comments:

  1. omg is this st.lucia?? i live in st.lucia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is. I took this pic last year when I was there...Can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments!