Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Food Pyramid has been replaced by a Plate!

Remember this food pyramid: 
usda.gov
Well it is no more. It has been replaced by a plate. Yes a plate and it looks like this:
usda.gov
 Pros of the MyPlate
  • Easier to read & understand
  • Provides a great visual to children & adults alike
  • Makes nutritious eating less complicated
  • It is clear that one's plate should be 50% of fruits & veggies
  • Allows for great portion control
Cons
In my opinion, NONE.

Now the important question remains: Will this new & Improved plate improve our eating & our health. Only time will tell.
More information on this can be found here

**One more thing: I think its important that WE know that our typical diet should be representative of this plate and not our daily meals. Come on now, we live hectic lives and so we may not have the perfect plate. However, most of our meals should be representative of this neatly arranged plate.

Suggestions, Comments & Questions are welcome.

Stay well,
Lilia

4 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. Having this visual will most definitely help me eat healthier and have better proportions of food. I think a lot of people should see this and use this as a guide to their eating habits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I belong to Weight Watchers and lost 35 pounds using this type of plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are the fats factored in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree Questen. At Celeste, nothing has changed from the old Mypyramid, except the visual, which included fats. The only difference, is that the plate visual is easier to read, as opposed to the lines on the pyramid. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments!