Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Why do we need 'Men's Health Fairs' in the Caribbean?

Hello my beautiful friends,

I am very excited to bring this video to you. The video pretty much speaks for itself; therefore, I won't add too much writing.

The video that you are about to watch is a 'Men's health fair' put together in St. Lucia today to encourage men to participate in regular health screenings and check-ups.

Men on average are less likely to engage in regular health screenings. I know this is especially true in the Caribbean. 

While conducting interviews for my graduate thesis, one of the participants who is Jamaican, shares this, which is echoed throughout this video:

"I really don’t know and the thing with that is that back at home, they have this thing where men, you would almost never see a man at the hospital, unless it’s really severe. So, primary healthcare for men is deemed as something that women do; and unless you are really, really sick, you’re (i.e. men) not going to get your regular check-up. So, even though they have it (i.e. diabetes), I don’t even think they would know per se, but that’s all I can say."



So, yes I was delighted to see that programming is looking to encourage men to take more of an active role in their health. As a Public Health professional like me, this is so exciting!

What do you think? I would love to hear what you think?

Take Care,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments!