Tuesday, July 26, 2011

To all my International Students!


 Hello folks,

I know that many students like myself will relate to this story. If you know me, then you know that I came to the U.S. to get a better education and more importantly to go further in my education. Like other Caribbean islands, in St. Lucia there is usually a higher number of students who don't make it past secondary school (high school) than there are students who make it to college. I have been fortunate enough to immigrate here to the United States to have one of the best education that I could dream of; an education that I could not have had in my home country. And that's a fact for many international students. 

I have been blessed to earn a Bachelors' degree from a private college and presently, I am making strides to earn a Masters' degree from one of the oldest universities in the country. 

The burning question: Would you stay in the country that you have adopted to work, live and build a career?
  OR
Will you return to your home country with your new skills and knowledge to seek employment and to pass on what you have learned to your country?

Now to be fair, let's me give you my personal response... To begin, I love this country for all what it has afforded me. I did a lot of my growing and maturing here, but I feel the pull/need to go back. I really can't explain it. I need to make a 'contribution' to my home country no matter how small it may be. There is a need to give back and I plan to do just that in the near future. Despite the fact that America has been my home in a sense, St. Lucia will forever be my home, my first love, no matter what.

Please share, I would love to hear your thoughts and your stories concerning this post.

Take care!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cecilia,
    Lets just say its up in the air. Who knows? Right now I have short and long term goals(10 years) all centered around here, but after that,perhaps I would. I see your point entirely, the solution is to make a change no matter how small,not to go away. Every continent has its time to develop and grow with time :)Sidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sidi. Thanks for sharing. I totally understand reasons that people have for both leaving and staying. It was just a burning question/discussion that I've had with a few friends and so I wanted to know what other folks thought about the idea.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments!