Saturday, August 21, 2010

One of the biggest & baddest things in Graduate School

Hi guys,

Graduate Assistantships or GAs are the best thing next to slice bread. In fact, they are one of the BIGGEST & BADDEST things about Graduate School! We'll kind of. GAs are academic awards given to grad students who work for the university. The work is usually teaching in your department, which is at the college level, doing research in your department in collaboration with a professor or doing administrative work.

In exchange for your service (which is usually 18-20hrs a week, YES A WEEK!!), tuition is free and you receive a monthly stipend. Assistantships are very competitive and vary from school to school. They offer a great way to gain valuable experience in your field of study. Furthermore, I don't have to take out a loan to pay off the 7% that I owe each semester, because my stipend covers it all.
www.wisegeek.com
Five reasons why I love my assistantship:

1.  93% of my costs are erased in exchange for my work which is thousands of dollars especially for an   out-of-state student.

2. I only work 20 hours a week... equivalent to a part-time job and need to have a minimum of 9 credit hrs.

3. I get 10% off my books at the bookstore and we all know how textbooks can be so expensive

4. Currently, I am gaining valuable work experience in leadership and team work as a graduate assistant

5. Parking on campus is reduced from $200 to $30....SWEET!

    Wouldn't you want a GA?

Take care,
Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments!